1) Welcome to the latest/New year edition of the now very popular FAUXRUMORS Power rankings: We believe our formula that emphasizes strength of schedule, recent success, and overall record). makes our power ranking/poll the most accurate. We have received raves from many other publications which asks FAUXRUMORS permission to publish our rankings on their blogs. You may notice that we only use 2 columns on wins/losses. (Last rankings)
1. Buffalo (29-10) (1)- Maintains their top spot with consistent high quality play. No doubt they're for real
2. Anaheim(28-12) (2)- Despite recent 'slump' still team to beat in West. Goalie injuries hurting.
3. San Jose (26-14) (3)- If not for Ducks amazing start, they would be talk of the west. May still be when all is said and done
4. Nashville (26-14) (4)- Continuing to play very well
5. Detroit (24-14) (6)- Geriatric Wings still in upper echelon of the NHL
6. Dallas (24-15-0) (11)- Despite recent mediocrity, playing better the past month
7. Montreal (22-16) (8)- Playing good disciplined hockey in front of star-Huet
8. Atlanta (24-17) (7)- Continue to play very well, with excellent road record
9. New Jersey (22-16) (16)- Broduer and devs starting to roll. Look out East!
10. Calgary (19-18) (17)- If the Flames could win a road game they'd be in top 5
11. Minnesota (20-19) (15) - Another team with road trouble in black and blue NW division
12. Vancouver (20-19) (20) - Recent surge place them into playoff spot
13. Ottawa (21-20) (18) - Had good month, but recent injuries could cause slide
14. Carolina (21-20) (9) - Chugging along anonymously for a Cup champ
15. Boston (19-18) (22) - Better play recently have put them into thick of things
16. Colorado (19-20) (21)- Some stumbling, but better play of late has them in contention
17. Edmonton (18-20) (10) -In free fall? NW doesn't allow for long losing streaks
18. NY Islanders (19-19) (13) - Consistently inconsistent. Not yet a true contender for playoffs
19. NY Rangers (19-21) (14) -Recently ended 7 game slide against Hershey, err Washington
20. Tampa Bay (18-21) (12) - Just when you think they're putting it together Tortorella's squad goes on another losing streak
21. Phoenix (16-22) (29)- Playing much better with injured players returning. Give Wayne credit for not quitting
22. Toronto (18-23) (5)- Biggest tumble of any team. Sundin return hurt chemistry?
23. Chicago (16-22) (27)- When healthy(rare) aren't nearly as bad as last year
24. Washington (16-24) (24) - Recent rash if injuries/flu expose talent-thin squad
25. Pittsburgh (16-21) (19)- Pens continue slide from early fast start
26. Columbus (15-24) (30) 1 step forward, 2 steps back
27. Florida (15-26) (26)- Continue the struggle on the road. Trades on horizon?
28. Los Angeles (14-27) (23)- None expected them to be playoff team, but still under achieving
29. St. Louis (12-26) (28) - Playing better as of late. May forestall trade talks?
30. Philadelphia (10-28)(25)- Still by far the worst team in the NHL. Without Forsberg, worst ever?
9 years ago